The Bunbury Historical Society Inc. was founded in 1954. Its Headquarters are the in King Cottage (pictured above ) which was built around 1800 by Henry King, a bricklayer by trade. The Kings owned the house until 1923 when it was sold to the Carlson family. In 1966 it was purchased for the City of Bunbury which has leased it to the Bunbury Historical Society since that date. The Society became incorporated in 1970 and now has around 25 members.
The main rooms of the King Cottage Museum are furnished to fit the period of the King family ownership – from 1880 to 1920. The artifacts displayed are part of the Bunbury Historical Society’s collection and reflect the way of life of a Bunbury family of that period. The Museum is open daily from 10.30 am to 12.30 pm, closed Public Holidays. It houses documents and books as well as many artifacts.
Members meet at the Museum on Tuesdays from 10 am to 1 pm.