The Mundaring and Hills Historical Society (Inc) was formed in 1989 and wandered around for many years searching for a home and acquiring objects. In 2008, we moved into our current offices in the former Station Master’s House (pictured above) , opposite the Mundaring Hotel. This is where the Society’s administration centre, local studies library and museum collection room is located. We also manage the Mundaring District Museum, which is housed in one of the classrooms in the old Mundaring Primary School. The Mundaring Visitor Centre occupy the other classroom. It is due to the staff and volunteers working in the Visitor Centre, that the Mundaring District Museum is open 7 days a week.
The Shire of Mundaring contains a number of small villages that were established following the construction of the Eastern Railway line in 1884 and then the slightly later Mahogany Creek Deviation (that ran further to the north) in 1896. Until the construction of the Subiaco railway tunnel, the Shire of Mundaring boasted the only railway tunnel in Western Australia; the Swan View Tunnel.
The Society has approximately 30 financial members. Meetings are held approximately every three months and feature a guest speaker.
Interesting features in our Area include Mundaring Weir, the Pipeline and the No. 1 Pumping Station, Swan View Tunnel, Mundaring Sculpture Park and the old Mahogany Inn (formerly the Prince of Wales Inn).